Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Main Hall Collection

Overview

Scope and Contents

Administrative Information

Detailed Description

Box 1



Contact us about this collection

Main Hall Collection, 1853-2015 | Lawrence University Archives

Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Contact Us About This Collection

Collection Overview

Title: Main Hall Collection, 1853-2015View associated digital content.

ID: LU-RG08/001

Primary Creator: Lawrence University

Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet. More info below.

Arrangement: The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject and type of material, then chronologically at the file level.

Subjects: Lawrence University -- Buildings, Main Hall

Forms of Material: correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographic prints

Languages: English

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection is composed of materials documenting the history of Main Hall, Lawrence University's main college building that was built in 1853. Correspondence, newspaper clippings, programs, and photographs are included in the collection.

Collection Historical Note

Main Hall, the oldest building on the Lawrence University campus, was built in 1853. The main college building was built to accommodate the growing college that was created in 1847. Excavation for the site of Main Hall began in the spring of 1853. Stones from the local Fox River were used in building the hall. The laying of the cornerstone occurred on June 29, 1853. The capstone was laid May 27, 1854. The building began being used in the fall of 1854 and housed all the college's classrooms, the laboratory, the library, administrative and faculty offices, a dining room, a chapel, and even living quarters.

Electricity was installed in the building in 1888. President William Howard Taft was the first president to visit the college and spoke on the Main Hall front steps in 1911. The historical importance of the building was recognized in 1974, when Main Hall was entered in the National Register of Historical Places of the United States Park Service.

Main Hall currently holds classrooms and faculty offices for the humanities, along with the John G. Strange Student Commons.

Subject/Index Terms

Lawrence University -- Buildings
Main Hall

Administrative Information

Repository: Lawrence University Archives

Accruals: Materials on Main Hall will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.

Alternate Extent Statement: 1 box

Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions: Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University.  For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the University Archivist.

Acquisition Method: Materials on Main Hall were collected and placed in the Archives vertical file prior to 2005. The donor and source of the materials, as well as who collected them and arranged them in the vertical file is unknown.

Related Materials: Oversized Photographs, LU-AV-005.

Preferred Citation: Main Hall Collection. LU-RG08-001. Lawrence University Archives, Seeley G. Mudd Library, Appleton, Wisconsin.

Processing Information: Preliminary processing was done prior to 2005, date and processor unknown. Further processing and finding aid was done by Katherine Elchert, 2008. Final processing and completion of finding aid was done by Julia Stringfellow, 2008.


Box and Folder Listing


Browse by Box:

[Box 1],
[All]

Box 1
Folder 1: Articles, 1853-2015
Folder 2: Cards and other historical information, including the rededication ceremony, 1853-2004View associated digital content.
Folder 3: Exterior, cupola, articles, 1960-1999
Folder 4: Exterior, cupola, photographs, 1941-1992View associated digital content.
Folder 5: Exterior, gateway, correspondence and photographs, 1935
Folder 6: Exterior, roof, correspondence, 1951-1956
Folder 7: Exterior, sundial from Merrill Hall of Milwaukee-Downer College, articles, correspondence, and programs, 1973-1987
Folder 8: Exterior, sundial from Merrill Hall of Milwaukee-Downer College, photographs, 1975-1987View associated digital content.
Folder 9: Interior, Alumni Room, correspondence, 1979
Folder 10: Interior, Hiram A. Jones Latin Library, article and photographs, 1901-1981View associated digital content.
Folder 11: Interior, John G. Strange Commons, article and program, 2000
Folder 12: Interior, language laboratory, articles, correspondence, and photographs, 1961-1967
Folder 13: Interior, library, articles, 1870-1891
Folder 14: Interior, library, bills and documents, 1873-1880
Folder 15: Interior, library, photographs, circa 1854-1901View associated digital content.
Folder 16: Interior, library, photographs of the interior after the 1979 renovation, 1979-1980
Folder 17: National Register of Historic Places entry, articles and correspondence, 1973-1981
Folder 18: Outagamie County Historical Society Preservation Award, article and correspondence, 1980
Folder 19: Photographs, 1853-1899View associated digital content.
Folder 20: Photographs, 1900-1920View associated digital content.
Folder 21: Photographs, 1920-1940View associated digital content.
Folder 22: Photographs, 1940-1960View associated digital content.
Folder 23: Photographs, 1960-1980View associated digital content.
Folder 24: Photographs, 1980-2000
Folder 25: Postage stamp application materials, 1977-1994
Folder 26: Remodeling work, correspondence, 1937-1945
Folder 27: Renovation, architectural plans, 1973-1978
Folder 28: Renovation, articles and booklets, 1974-1979
Folder 29: Renovation, correspondence, 1967-2000
Extent: 2 folders
Folder 31: Renovation, correspondence with the engineering firm, 1972-1978
Folder 32: Renovation, photographs, 1973-1978

Browse by Box:

[Box 1],
[All]


Page Generated in: 0.083 seconds (using 211 queries).
Using 3.15MB of memory. (Peak of 3.81MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign