Institute of Paper Chemistry Records
This collection contains records pertaining to the administration and operations of the Institute of Paper Chemistry, a graduate school affiliated with Lawrence University from 1929 to 1989. Records date from 1929 to 2003. Records include Board of Trustees meeting minutes and supplemental materials as well as subject files on various aspects of the Institute's campus, curriculum, alumni, students, faculty, and administration.
- Institute of Paper Chemistry (Appleton, Wis.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Lawrence University does not hold the copyright for all materials in this collection. Uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) require the researcher to secure permission from the copyright holder.
5.30 Linear Feet (8 boxes and 2 volumes)
Biographical or Historical Information
The Institute of Paper Chemistry was established in 1929 as a partnership between Lawrence College (now Lawrence University) and the local paper industry. It was a graduate institute for training paper chemists, organized by Lawrence but financed by the paper industry. The Institute had its own Board of Trustees and operated its own budget. Lawrence awarded Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees to graduates of the Institute. The Institute transferred its operations from Appleton to Atlanta, Georgia in 1989, where it currently exists as the Renewable Bioproducts Institute at Georgia Tech.
Materials are arranged in two series: 1. Board of Trustees files, 1932-1989 2. Subject files, 1929-2003
Method of Acquisition
Board of Trustees meeting materials dating from 1969 to 1989 were transferred to the Archives from the basement of Sampson House in July, 2007. The remainder of the collection was acquired prior to this time, date unknown.
Processed by Erin Dix, 2014.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description