Memorial Chapel Collection
This collection is composed of materials documenting the history of the Memorial Chapel, the main auditorium and concert hall for Lawrence University, built in 1918. The collection includes correspondence, building plans, articles about the chapel, and photographs. Materials on the organs are also included.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Lawrence University does not hold the copyright for all materials in this collection. Uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) require the researcher to secure permission from the copyright holder.
1.33 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Biographical or Historical Information
The Memorial Chapel was built in 1918 at a cost of $125,000, funded entirely by subscriptions from Appleton citizens, alumni, and friends of the college. This included $10,000 for the organ. The idea for a chapel building had first been proposed (and subscriptions first collected) in 1907, to serve as a memorial to Helen Fairfield Naylor, the wife of Wilson S. Naylor, Professor of Biblical Literature. After Myra Goodwin Plantz's death in 1914, funds were collected for the construction of a women's dormitory in her name. When the dormitory was named for Russell Sage, funds contributed in Mrs. Plantz's name were transferred to the Chapel fund. The land north of College Avenue was purchased for the site of the Chapel in 1916, and building began in June, 1917. As with Sage Hall, Childs and Smith were the architects, and C.R. Meyer and Sons received the contract for the building of the chapel. The chapel was originally intended to serve as the center of religious life for the college, as well as a civic space for large meetings and concerts. It has served as the stage for many famous visitors over the years, including Louis Armstrong, Richard Nixon, Frank Lloyd Wright, and many visitors from the Conservatory Artist Series. It underwent major renovations in 1965.
Materials are arranged alphabetically by subject and type of material.
Method of Acquisition
Most materials were collected and placed in the Archives vertical file prior to 2005. Renovation materials from 2010 transferred by Lynn Hagee with accession 2018-12.
Accruals and Additions
Materials on the Memorial Chapel will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.
Preliminary processing completed prior to 2005, date and processor unknown. Further processing and completion of finding aid completed by Erin Dix, 2011.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description