Worcester Art Center Collection
This collection consists of records documenting the planning, construction, and dedication of the Worcester Art Center, dating from 1943 to 1987. Records include articles, correspondence, and photographs.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University. For uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), please contact the University Archivist.
0.40 Linear Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1943, Chicago art patrons Charles and Mary Worcester presented a gift of $200,000 to Lawrence "to be used to promote the program in fine arts." The Worcester Art Center was bulit several years later, after war-time restrictions on construction were lifted. It was dedicated during Commencement week in June 1950. The building was smaller than originally planned. In addition to studios and classrooms for the graphic arts, it contained an exhibition room named for Ruth Bigelow Wriston, the first wife of Henry Merritt Wriston. The center was razed in 1987 to make room for construction of the Wriston Art Center.
Method of Acquisition
Materials acquired over time, prior to 2005.
Processed by Morgan Gray and Erin Dix, 2015.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description