Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Library Buildings Collection

Overview

Scope and Contents

Administrative Information

Detailed Description

Carnegie Library materials

Samuel Appleton-Carnegie Library materials

Seeley G. Mudd Library materials



Contact us about this collection

Library Buildings Collection, 1905-2001 | Lawrence University Archives

Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Contact Us About This Collection

Collection Overview

Title: Library Buildings Collection, 1905-2001View associated digital content.

ID: LU-RG08/013

Primary Creator: Lawrence University

Extent: 1.8 Linear Feet

Arrangement: Materials are arranged by building chronology, then by subject and type of material.

Subjects: Carnegie Library, Lawrence University -- Buildings, Seeley G. Mudd Library

Forms of Material: contracts, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographic prints

Languages: English

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection consists of materials documenting the planning, construction, and renovation of library buildings at Lawrence University. These buildings include the Carnegie Library (1906-1962), the Samuel Appleton-Carnegie Library (1962-1974), and the Seeley G. Mudd Library (1974-present). Correspondence, newspaper clippings, planning documents, contracts, dedication programs, and photographs are included in the collection.

Collection Historical Note

The Carnegie Library was built in 1906, on roughly the same site as the present Seeley G. Mudd Library. It was funded in part by a $50,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie and modeled after the Carnegie Library in Washington, D.C. Prior to the construction of this building, the Lawrence library had been housed in Main Hall. The Carnegie Library housed administrative offices on the second floor in addition to shelving and study space.

By 1960, the expanding collection and growing student population required an addition to the library. An addition was built on the east and south side of the Carnegie Library, and the structure was dedicated in the fall of 1962 as the Samuel Appleton-Carnegie Library.

Twelve years later, the Carnegie Library part of the building was destroyed to be replaced by an expanded front portion. This new structure, the Seeley G. Mudd Library, was dedicated in 1976 and supported by a grant from the Seeley G. Mudd Fund. Dr. Mudd established this $44 million fund in his will to support the construction of college and university buildings; thus, there are several Seeley G. Mudd libraries on college campuses around the country.

Subject/Index Terms

Carnegie Library
Lawrence University -- Buildings
Seeley G. Mudd Library

Administrative Information

Repository: Lawrence University Archives

Accruals: Materials documenting the library buildings will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.

Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions: Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University.  For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the University Archivist.

Acquisition Method: Materials were collected and placed in the Archives vertical collection file prior to July 2005.

Related Materials: Oversized Photographs, LU-AV-005.

Preferred Citation: Library Buildings Collection. LU-RG08-013. Lawrence University Archives, Seeley G. Mudd Library, Appleton, Wisconsin.

Processing Information: Preliminary processing completed prior to 2005. Final processing and finding aid completed by Erin Dix, 2012.


Box and Folder Listing


Browse by Series:

[Series 1: Carnegie Library materials, 1905-1974],
[Series 2: Samuel Appleton-Carnegie Library materials, 1959-1974],
[Series 3: Seeley G. Mudd Library materials, 1970-2001],
[All]

Series 1: Carnegie Library materials, 1905-1974
Box 1
Folder 1: Articles, 1905-1974
Folder 2: Contracts and specifications, 1905
Folder 3: Cornerstone contents, removed in 1973, 1905
Included copies of the The Ariel, 1906, the Catalogue for 1904-1905 (Lawrence University Bulletin vol. 5, no. 4, February, 1905), the Alumni Record, 1857-1905 (Lawrence University Bulletin vol. 5, no. 6, June, 1905), and the January 12, 1905 issue of the Appleton Evening Crescent.
Folder 4: Correspondence, 1905-1974View associated digital content.
Folder 5: Dedication program, 1906View associated digital content.
Folder 6: Photographs, demolition, 1974View associated digital content.
Folder 7: Photographs, exterior, undatedView associated digital content.
Folder 8: Photographs, interior, undatedView associated digital content.
Folder 9: Photographs, International Tea, 1937View associated digital content.
Folder 10: Photographs, staff, circa 1931-1937View associated digital content.

Browse by Series:

[Series 1: Carnegie Library materials, 1905-1974],
[Series 2: Samuel Appleton-Carnegie Library materials, 1959-1974],
[Series 3: Seeley G. Mudd Library materials, 1970-2001],
[All]


Page Generated in: 0.088 seconds (using 217 queries).
Using 3.13MB of memory. (Peak of 3.56MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign