Main Hall Collection
This collection is composed of materials documenting the history of Main Hall, Lawrence University's main college building that was built in 1853. Correspondence, newspaper clippings, programs, and photographs are included in the collection.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University. For uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), please contact the University Archivist.
1.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Biographical or Historical Information
Main Hall, the oldest building on the Lawrence University campus, was built in 1853. The main college building was built to accommodate the growing college that was created in 1847. Excavation for the site of Main Hall began in the spring of 1853. Stones from the local Fox River were used in building the hall. The laying of the cornerstone occurred on June 29, 1853. The capstone was laid May 27, 1854. The building began being used in the fall of 1854 and housed all the college's classrooms, the laboratory, the library, administrative and faculty offices, a dining room, a chapel, and even living quarters. Electricity was installed in the building in 1888. President William Howard Taft was the first president to visit the college and spoke on the Main Hall front steps in 1911. The historical importance of the building was recognized in 1974, when Main Hall was entered in the National Register of Historical Places of the United States Park Service. Main Hall currently holds classrooms and faculty offices for the humanities, along with the John G. Strange Student Commons.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject and type of material, then chronologically at the file level.
Method of Acquisition
Materials on Main Hall were collected and placed in the Archives vertical file prior to 2005. The donor and source of the materials, as well as who collected them and arranged them in the vertical file is unknown.
Accruals and Additions
Materials on Main Hall will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.
Preliminary processing was done prior to 2005, date and processor unknown. Further processing and finding aid was done by Katherine Elchert, 2008. Final processing and completion of finding aid was done by Julia Stringfellow, 2008.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description