Music-Drama Center Collection
This collection is comprised of materials documenting the history of the Music-Drama Center, the home of the Conservatory of Music and Theatre department that was built in 1959. The collection includes correspondence, building plans, articles about the building, and photographs. Materials on Harper Hall, Cloak and Stansbury Theatres, and Waterman Library are also included.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Lawrence University does not hold the copyright for all materials in this collection. Uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) require the researcher to secure permission from the copyright holder.
1.00 Linear Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
The Music-Drama Center was built in 1959 at a cost of $1,400,000. The Conservatory of Music that had been housed in Peabody Hall since 1909 moved to the Music-Drama Center when it was completed. Work on the Music-Drama Center began in November 1957. The Frank C. Shattuck Associates of Neenah designed the building, and construction of the building was done by the Oscar Boldt Construction Company. The building was dedicated on June 5, 1959, and the cornerstone was also added to the building that day. Several parts of the new building were named in honor of former Conservatory deans and others who contributed greatly to Lawrence. The Peabody Wing of the building was named in honor of George Peabody, a former Lawrence trustee who provided funds to build Peabody Hall of Music when he passed away in 1909, and the 250-seat Harper Hall was named in honor of William Harper, Conservatory dean from 1908-1913 and son-in-law of George Peabody. The 500-seat Stansbury Theatre was named in honor of Mary Stansbury, an 1859 Lawrence graduate and one of Lawrence's first female trustees, and the 200-seat experimental arena theater was dedicated as the F. Theodore Cloak Theatre in 1973 in honor of Ted Cloak, a professor of theatre at Lawrence from 1929-1969. The Waterman Library was named in honor of Carl. J. Waterman who taught music in the Conservatory for 43 years and was Conservatory Dean from 1920-1949. Waterman was to participate in the dedication ceremony, but died on the eve of the ceremony. In addition to the Lawrence Conservatory and Theatre department usage, the building has also been used by the Appleton community for events. Attic Theatre, an Appleton community group, has used both of the theaters for productions since the group was created.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject and type of material, then chronologically at the file level. Folder titles for contract materials are the original titles that were on the folder.
Method of Acquisition
Materials on the Music-Drama Center were collected and placed in the Archives vertical file prior to 2005. Renovation records, 2011-2013 transferred by Lynn Hagee with accessions 2017-09 and 2018-12.
Accruals and Additions
Materials on the Music-Drama Center will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.
Preliminary processing was done prior to 2005, date and processor unknown. Further processing and completion of finding aid was done by Julia Stringfellow, 2009.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2016: Revised to incorporate scrapbook of newspaper clippings