Conservatory of Music Subject Files
This collection consists of subject files documenting departments, ensembles, events, and general history of the Conservatory of Music at Lawrence University, dating from 1868 to the present. Materials primarily include newspaper clippings, photographs, programs, and brochures.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University. For uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), please contact the University Archivist.
4.15 Linear Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
The Conservatory of Music at Lawrence University traces its roots to 1874, when President George McKendree Steele proposed to the Board of Trustees that a Conservatory be established. With only one faculty member, this iteration of the Conservatory only lasted for two years. It was officially re-established by Samuel Plantz in 1894. The 1894/1895 course catalog states: “The Musical Department of the college has been re-organized during the past year and offers entirely new facilities…The aim will be to prepare those who desire to devote themselves to music as a profession, and also to give advantages to those who…wish to study music as a part of a liberal education.” After slow growth initially, the Conservatory rapidly expanded with the appointment of William Harper as Dean in 1908 and the building of Peabody Hall of Music in 1909.
Method of Acquisition
Materials acquired over time. The date that acquisitions began is unknown.
Processed by Lina Rosenberg, 2014.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2016: Revised to incorporate publicity scrapbook