Residence Halls Collection
This collection is comprised of materials documenting the history of Lawrence University's residence halls. Ormsby Hall was the first dorm built at Lawrence in 1889, and Hiett Hall is the most current dorm and was built in 2003. Materials in the collection include articles, building plans, correspondence, photographs, and information regarding construction and renovations.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University. For uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), please contact the University Archivist.
4.88 Linear Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
Ormsby Hall, the first dorm building to be constructed on the Lawrence campus, was completed in 1889. Its purpose was to serve as an all-women's dorm. It was named in honor of David Ormsby, a manufacturer in Milwaukee who provided funds to construct the dorm. Brokaw Hall was the second dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1910. It was named in honor of Norman Brokaw, a Lawrence trustee who provided much funding for student scholarships and who died suddenly in 1900. The dorm initially served as an all-men's dorm and provided housing for the Navy V-12 unit stationed at Lawrence during World War II. Sage Hall was the third dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1917. Its initial purpose was to serve as an all-women's dorm. It was named in honor of Russell Sage who was a New York broker. Colman Hall was the fourth dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1956. Its initial purpose was to serve as an all-women's dorm. It was named in honor of Lucinda Darling Colman, a Lawrence graduate of 1857 who went on to receive a Master of Arts degree from Lawrence in 1865 and remained active at the university until her death in 1930. The building houses over 135 students. Plantz Hall was the fifth dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1961. It was named in honor of Samuel Plantz, president of Lawrence from 1894 until his death in 1924. The dorm houses over 160 students. Trever Hall was the sixth dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1963. Its initial purpose was to serve as an all-men's dorm. It was named in honor of Albert Augustus Trever, an 1894 graduate of Lawrence who went on to teach at Lawrence from 1905 until his death in 1940. The dorm houses over 160 students. Kohler Hall was the seventh dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 1967. Its initial purpose was to serve as an all-women's dorm. It was named in honor of Ruth DeYoung Kohler, a trustee of Lawrence from 1945 until her death in 1953. Known as the "high-rise dorm," it is currently the no-substance dorm on campus, meaning that no alcohol or tobacco products are allowed inside the dorm. The dorm has 7 stories and can accommodate over 125 students. Hiett Hall was the eighth dorm built at Lawrence and was completed in 2003. A co-ed dorm, it was named in honor of Stanley and Clara Hiett, parents of Kimberly Hiett Jordan, a 1958 graduate of Lawrence and trustee.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by name of dorm, then by subject and type of material. Materials are arranged chronologically at the file level.
Method of Acquisition
Materials on the dorms were collected and placed in the Archives vertical collection file prior to July 2005. Records documenting the renovations of Colman, Trever, and Plantz in 2010-2011 were transferred by Lynn Hagee with Accession 2017-09. Ormsby Hall scrapbooks (1983-1994) transferred in Accession 2017-12.
Accruals and Additions
Materials on the dorms will continue to be collected and placed in this collection by the University Archivist.
Preliminary processing was done prior to 2005, date and processor unknown. Further processing and finding aid was done by Julia Stringfellow, 2010.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description