Board of Visitors Records
Collection — Box: 1
This collection consists of records created by the Board of Visitors dating from 1924-1968. Records include lists of visitors and memoranda and correspondence.
- Lawrence University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights and copyright reside with Lawrence University. For uses beyond those allowed for fair use under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), please contact the University Archivist.
0.40 Linear Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
The Board of Visitors consisted of twelve ministers elected by the Wisconsin Conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church. From 1847 to 1933, members of this board served as ex officio members of the Board of Trustees, with votes that equaled those of the regular trustees. In 1933, the status of the Board of Visitors was changed and its role became "to consult from time to time with the president of the college and with committees of the faculty named by him with a view to understanding the aims, purposes, and procedures of the institution, and interpreting those to the Wisconsin Conference and to the West Wisconsin Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church." After this time, the role of the Board of Visitors gradually diminished. By about 1970, the group was no longer convened.
Minimally processed by Kim Comerford, 2013.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Language of description