Box 2
Container
Contains 40 Collections and/or Records:
South Drew Street, known as Brokaw Annex, Pan Hellenic House, Art Annex, and ROTC building, article, correspondence, and photographs, 1924-1988
File — Box: 2, Folder: 11
Identifier: Folder 11
Scope and Contents
The house stood next to Brokaw Hall and was demolished sometime in the 1990s.
226 South Drew Street, articles, correspondence, and photographs, 1937-1989
File — Box: 2, Folder: 12
Identifier: Folder 12
Scope and Contents
The house served as the office of the Milling Company before it was purchased by Lawrence sometime in the 1980s. The house was moved by Lawrence in 1998. The house is not currently owned by Lawrence.
114 South Durkee Street, correspondence, photograph, and residential data card, 1943-1969
File — Box: 2, Folder: 13
Identifier: Folder 13
Scope and Contents
The house was owned by Betty West and used as an apartment building before Lawrence purchased it in 1969. The house was demolished in September 1993.
741 West Front Street, correspondence, 1964-1973
File — Box: 2, Folder: 14
Identifier: Folder 14
Scope and Contents
The owner of the house was Kenneth Dickinson when Lawrence purchased the house in 1964 and the house was sold by Lawrence in 1973 following Dickinson's death. The address is not listed in the 2009 Appleton City Directory.
711 East John Street, Hulbert House guest residence, articles, correspondence, photographs, plaque that was at entrance, and video done in February 2007 before it was razed, 1941-2007
File — Box: 2, Folder: 15
Identifier: Folder 15
Scope and Contents
The house stood where Warch Campus Center currently is and was demolished in 2007. Photographs and a video of the house were done in February 2007, the photographs are in the Archives folder on the share drive and the video is housed in the Archives.
117 North Lawe Street, residential data cards, 1950
File — Box: 2, Folder: 16
Identifier: Folder 16
Scope and Contents
The owner of the house was Ellen O'Connor when Lawrence purchased the house in 1950. The address is not listed in the 2009 Appleton City Directory.
129 North Lawe Street, correspondence and residential data card, circa 1970-1988
File — Box: 2, Folder: 17
Identifier: Folder 17
Scope and Contents
It is unclear who the original owner of the house was and when it was sold to Lawrence. As of 1988 Lawrence was renting the house out and then used it for student housing. There is no listing of the address in the 2009 Appleton City Directory.
108 South Lawe Street, article, 1940
File — Box: 2, Folder: 18
Identifier: Folder 18
Scope and Contents
The house was located directly across the street from the Lawrence Mudd Library and was demolished in 1976.
115 South Lawe Street, Peabody House, articles, house information, and photographs, 1910-circa 1961
File — Box: 2, Folder: 19-20
Identifier: Folder 19-20
Scope and Contents
George Peabody was the owner of the house and left it to Lawrence when he died in 1909. His daughter Emma and her husband William Harper lived in the house until 1913, then moved, and the house became a women's dorm. The house was demolished in 1962 to make room for the new library addition.
307 East Lawrence Street, South House, articles and photographs, 1935-1956
File — Box: 2, Folder: 21
Identifier: Folder 21
Scope and Contents
The owner of the house was Thomas W. Orbison when Lawrence rented the house to use it as a dorm in 1935. Lawrence later purchased the house, continued to use it as a dorm, and it was demolished in February 1955 to make room for Colman Hall.
Lawrence University Archives