Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Box 1

 Container

Contains 25 Collections and/or Records:

Fraternity houses before the quadrangle, photographs, 1907-1939

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 31
Identifier: Folder 31
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials documenting the houses on the Lawrence University campus, both those currently owned as well as those razed or no longer owned by Lawrence. Materials primarily include correspondence, newspaper articles, and photographs.

General information about houses owned by Lawrence, articles, correspondence and photographs, 1946-1997

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 1
Identifier: Folder 1
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials documenting the houses on the Lawrence University campus, both those currently owned as well as those razed or no longer owned by Lawrence. Materials primarily include correspondence, newspaper articles, and photographs.

739 East Alton Street, Sabin House, formerly known as East House, articles, correspondence, and photographs, circa 1970-1998

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 3
Identifier: Folder 3
Scope and Contents The house was moved from 728 East John Street in 1937.

738 East Boldt Way, correspondence, photographs, and residential data card, 1947-1989

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 4
Identifier: Folder 4
Scope and Contents The owner of the house was Gertrude Weston when Lawrence purchased the house in 1947.

739 East Boldt Way, International House, formerly Sage Cottage, formerly the Henry D. Smith house, articles, correspondence, and photographs, 1882-2010

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 5-6
Identifier: Folder 5-6
Scope and Contents The house was purchased by Lawrence in July 1916, used as a women's dorm, then faculty apartments, and became International House in the late 1980s.

741 East Boldt Way, correspondence and photographs, 1882-1988

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 7
Identifier: Folder 7
Scope and Contents The house was acquired by Lawrence in 1971. William Waters was the architect of the house and John Wood was the builder.

742 East Boldt Way, formerly Cooke House, articles, correspondence, photographs, and residential data card, 1948-2004

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 8
Identifier: Folder 8
Scope and Contents The owner of the house was when Lawrence purchased it around 1953.

521 East College Avenue, Sampson House, articles, correspondence, and photographs, 1913-1995

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 9-11
Identifier: Folder 9-11
Scope and Contents The house was built to serve as the home of the president in 1881 and served this purpose until 1956 when it began being used for administrative offices. The house was moved forward in 1984.

706 East College Avenue, Wilson House, articles, correspondence, and photographs, 1962-1988

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 12
Identifier: Folder 12
Scope and Contents The owner of the house was Gordon Derber when Lawrence purchased the house in 1962.